Monday, March 17, 2008

Atlanta Tornado

As most of you have probably seen, the Metro Atlanta area was rocked by a Tornado (followed by multiple severe thunderstorms) over this past weekend. The CNN Center has been most prominently shown on the news. As an employee of TBS (which owns CNN) and working mere blocks from the epicenter, I was extremely curious about the damage upon returning to work the Monday following. Roads were closed and detours abounded, but I finally made it in to work. I stepped out at lunch to take some pictures of the area surrounding my office (and the CNN Center).

This first shot is looking over Centennial Park at the CNN Center and Omni Hotel. Notice all the boarded up windows (and some remaining unboarded). The crane is part of the repair efforts. The crane is sitting in the spot where much of the primetime footage was shot (right in front of the CNN Center). I was amazed that the major debris was cleaned up and the efforts had mainly moved for maintenance and repair.


This picture is of the Phillips Arena parking structure (across the street from the CNN Center and Phillip's Arena). The damage to the building facade is obvious.

Here's a closer picture of the CNN Center. I wasn't the only curious George checking things out and taking pictures.


Here's a picture of a few remaining vehicles damaged from the storm...I am not sure if either of those guys own that vehicle. Just barely in camera is a white SUV which was equally damaged .


Next are a few random office buildings in the surrounding area.


No comments: