Thursday, May 22, 2008

Home Improvements continued...

Almost 18 months ago we noticed a leak in our ceiling downstairs at the laundry room entry. We had a plumber come out to inspect the leak. They cut a hole in the ceiling and located the leak as the master bath shower. They repaired the shower and recommended we leave the hole open to ensure the leak was fixed. Fast forward 13 months (and the ceiling hole remains), Cheryl notices the leak has returned. So, we call out the same plumber (which doesn't guarantee their work) to again fix the shower. Fast forward to April, Cheryl begins calling around to have someone come out and repair the hole. Estimates for minimals costs ranged up to $350. After much convincing (and after having received a free piece of sheet rock), I decided to take on the small project myself. What the heck, if I screw up, I can still have someone come out and repair it. Below are pictures of the first nights effort which included: screwing in the new sheet rock (which measure a measly 10 x 13 inches), mudding the seams, and taping the seams. The mudding will continue along with several rounds of sanding. All of that will be followed by texturizing the ceiling with the "popcorn in a can." I know from experience that spraying the popcorn is gonna be messy.



This is all part of an effort to get the house ready to sell (hopefully this summer).

1 comment:

The Collier Family said...

Sanding sheetrock is the worst. We just found a link and I'm in the process of investigating. RJ was helping me. So I'm cutting open some sheetrock and RJ says, "I have an idea, let's get a pencil and paper and right down what we know." Good idea.